We all know that we should be eating more greens and veggies. I love me a big salad for lunch at any time of year, but I know that many of us (myself included) can get stuck in a rut of having the same old things time and time again.
This little gem of a salad is sooooo simple but yet brings a zest of so many different flavours, not to mention essential nutrients. Blueberries are not only super delicious, but those tiny little things also pack a punch when it comes to being a super health food.
Blueberries are hey are low in calories but high in nutrients, the queen of antioxidants and are one berry we highly recommend adding to your diet. With the addition of avocado to get in your essential fats, but it also makes this salad filling and satisfying.
Superfood Avocado & Blueberry Salad
- 6 cups baby spinach and kale blend
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 tablespoons almonds, sliced
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons mayo, reduced fat
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Divide the baby spinach and kale salad blend between two large bowls.
- Top each bowl with half of the California avocado slices, blueberries, almonds and feta cheese.
To prepare the dressing:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients besides the poppy seeds in the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add the poppy seeds and pulse two times to incorporate. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from I Wash You Dry